10 Stress Busters You Can Do
Stress will always be a part of our lives. Going to school, starting a new job, marrying, raising a family, being promoted, growing old, facing illness or death all have degrees of stress related to them. Avoiding unnecessary stress and learning to control our harmful responses to stress are important. It's not always easy to deal with stress. Here is a list of tips that you can use to start managing your stress:
- Try not to "self-medicate" with tranquilizers, sleeping pills, diet formulas, alcohol or over-the-counter medicines. Covering problems in this way can make the stress even worse.
- Do something just for yourself. A trip to a ball game, to your hairdresser or barber, or having a therapeutic massage can do wonders when you are under a lot of stress.
- Eat at least one hot meal a day. Good nutrition is important because it provides our body with the fuel it needs to deal with daily life.
- Share how you're feeling with a family member, friend, health care provider, or clergy. Find someone that you trust and who will listen to you. There is an old saying that "A joy shared is doubled and a sorrow shared is halved."
- Daily exercise, such as a brisk walk for 20 minutes, improves your fitness and your sense of well-being.
- If you are a smoker, try to stop. Smoking and stress are a dangerous duo. Your EAP Counselor can help you find a smoking reduction or cessation program.
- If you are a coffee or cola lover, try to cut down on these and other drinks that contain caffeine.
- Use soothing music to help de-stress.
- We've all heard the adage "laughter is the best medicine". It is. Laughing releases chemicals in the brain that help promote a relaxation response. Get together with friends who make you laugh. Watch a comedy show, movie, or video clips online. Share them with others. Find ways to help you laugh your stress away.
- If you are concerned about your level of stress, or just want to talk about more ways to relax and de-stress, contact your EAP Counselor to set up an appointment.